Louvre Abu Dhabi welcomes 1.2m+ visitors in 2023

Louvre Abu Dhabi has welcomed more than 1.2 million visitors in 2023 following a series of exhibitions that complemented the museum’s permanent collection.  International visitors represented 72 per cent of footfall, with the majority coming from key growth markets including Russia, India, France, the US, China, Germany, Italy, Kazakhstan and the UK. The remaining 28 per cent of visitors were UAE residents. The museum also hosted visits by more than 500 officials and dignitaries, including Heads of State, ministers, ambassadors, internationally recognised artists and world-renowned celebrities. The museum also witnessed an increased number of visitors to the Children’s Museum and greater engagement with its school and university programmes.

His Excellency Saood Abdulaziz Al Hosani, Undersecretary of the Department of Culture and Tourism – Abu Dhabi, said: “Louvre Abu Dhabi was established as part of our duty to deliver exceptional cultural institutions and experiences for all residents and visitors to the emirate. We are proud to see the impact that this museum has had in its six years of operation, with continually increasing visitor numbers reflecting the strength of its collection, special exhibitions, and community programmes.”

Manuel Rabaté, Director at Louvre Abu Dhabi, said: “It is inspiring to witness such growth in visitation, a testament to how Louvre Abu Dhabi is showcasing Abu Dhabi’s rich and diverse cultural landscape. Our museum weaves together the power of collaboration and intercultural dialogue, offering our visitors a glimpse into diverse civilisations and artistic traditions. The interest from our visitors, reflected in the numbers achieved, combined with our unique storytelling, showcases our commitment to excellence in the global cultural landscape.”

2023 saw the opening of five exhibitions at Louvre Abu Dhabi, including Bollywood Superstars: A Short Story of Indian Cinema, Letters of Light, Cartier: Islamic Inspiration and Modern Design, Picturing the Cosmos in the Children’s Museum, and Louvre Abu Dhabi Art Here 2023.

In addition to exhibitions, Louvre Abu Dhabi expanded its collection with notable acquisitions and loans, enhancing the diversity of its offerings. Notable additions include two Picasso paintings (Woman Holding a Mandoline, 1911, and Portrait of a Seated Woman, 1923), Les Marionnettes by Jean-Honoré Fragonard (1770), and four sculptures titled Four Parts of the World on loan from Château de Versailles. Additionally, in commemoration of the 50-year anniversary of the longstanding diplomatic relationship between the UAE and Malta, the museum received two loans known as cippi from the National Museum of Archaeology, Valletta and Musée du Louvre.

Louvre Abu Dhabi’s Children’s Museum also saw significant activity in 2023, with as many as 231,493 visitors attending the two exhibitions that took place, Picturing the Cosmos and Emotions! The New Art Adventure.